Christopher A. Chapman

Chris Chapman of Birmingham, AL

Thursday, September 08, 2005

I've been promising (for some time) to post new pictures. Now, just before the true labor pains of my wife kick into high-gear (false labor seems to have arrived a few times already), I give you 99 photos spread across four albums.

As always, please click on the "Family Photos" link on the right side of the page. From there, the first four albums (listed in most-recently taken photo order) will have new pictures.

After 2 years and 9 months, my boy finally gets a haircut. The "hippie" days are over for Ethan. In late July, Ethan went to his final Day Care party at South Highland Presbyterian's Child Development Center.... and got a Big Boy bed. All sorts of changes. This marked the end of Lynn's 11-year employment at SouthTrust. Wachovia now runs the show, so we decided that this was a great chance to take a "break" and add to the family. Hence, the pending arrival of my daughter Amelia.

In addition, there are plenty of firefighter "action shots" at Barrett's birthday party. Finally, I go "way back" and publish 4th of July photos from our Lake Junaluska trip.

So, realistically, the next message you get will probably focus on the arrival of a baby girl. For now, focus on Ethan. His exclusive run is almost done!

In other news...

I'm really proud of my company's response to the hurricane. 190 branches in LA, MS, and AL were down for some portion of last week. Only 39 remain closed. 35 are in metro NOLA. We have aproximately 1550 employees impacted. Over 1300 have "reported-in."

Here's some highlights of my company's response to its employess....
Comments from Executive Management:
“Regions is continuing to support its associates, customers and communities in the horrible wake of Hurricane Katrina,” said Regions President and Chief Executive Officer Jackson W. Moore. “Thankfully, we have heard from the majority of our associates in the most heavily impacted areas, and are grateful that of those none have sustained serious physical injury.

“Of course the impact the storm has had on them is almost unimaginable,” Moore said. “For example, one of the calls we had to the associate hotline was from an employee who was trapped on the roof of a house and called to see if we could help – which we did by contacting the emergency management officials about the situation. More commonly, we’ve arranged for temporary housing, gotten folks cash for food, delivered ice and the like, all of which will continue as we go forward.”
- The company has made contact with the majority of the 1,550 of its associates who lived in the most heavily storm-impacted areas.
- All associates from those storm-impacted areas will automatically receive their Sept. 15 and Sept. 30 paychecks.
- Associates can also call the company to discuss specific emergency needs they have; the Regions Associates Assistance Fund is meeting those on a case-by-case basis. Associates are donating generously to this fund, and the company is matching their contributions on a dollar-for-dollar basis.
- The company has been distributing emergency water, ice, gasoline and personal supplies to associates on the Alabama and Mississippi Gulf Coasts and in Baton Rouge, La., an effort that will continue in the coming weeks.
I know the folks in Procurement, etc. are working near non-stop to get aid to our employees. It really is amazing. During the merger, I've been working (every other week) in Birmingham with two associates located in New Orleans. One has a total loss of her house. The other still has her house under 20 feet of water (this is after the levy was fixed) and her new car was in the driveway while she was on a trip to Vegas. She has 14 people in Birmingham hotel rooms while she works up here this week. She basically has nothing esle. Both ladies only have the clothes that they traveled with for their respective business trips. Pray for Linda and Rose and their respective families.

In addition, my good friend the SHARK (Claibourne Stanford) is free-and-clear of danger in Hattiesburg, MS. I still think power is out there. If not, it was just restored on Tuesday. Here's a re-publish of an email I received from his office..

Just thought I'd give you an update on what's going on here in Hattiesburg. When I talked to you on Monday I did not know what the storm was doing to the surrounding areas. It was pretty mild at our house; 4 trees down, a little fence damage, but no house damage. We're lucky. There are trees down everywhere. We couldn't get out of our neighborhood for 2 days. Thankfully the "redneck brigade" (coined by one of my partners) came along on 4 wheelers, armed with chainsaws to clear a path through the debris. They must know something I don't. I was always told to stay away from downed power lines, but these guys were cutting through trees with all kinds of lines tangled up in them.

We didn't have water for 4 days. We've got it now, but there is a boil notice. I'm sticking with bottled water for now. We got phone service back on Thursday or Friday. We still don't have power. It might be another week; at least that's what they're telling us.
We opened the office today. Not many patients came. I think I saw 10 in total, about half of normal. After work I went home and got out the generator and chainsaw that I bought yesterday. My generator will run 6000 watts max (about 5200 average) which should do the job for lights, fans, TV, etc. The gasoline lines are not too bad now. They're really bad in Jackson, which is where Caroline and Jackson and the dogs are. I'll go up there this weekend, and they'll come back w/ me if we get our power back.
One of the hospitals in Hattiesburg shut down for a few days. Forrest General lost it's power (something happened to the generator) and nobody could flush any of the toilets because they are sensor flush--you can't do it manually. Even though we admit over there and have privileges, we really don't go over there that much. I'm glad about that because from what I hear it was about 100 degrees and smelled like a big turd inside the place. Since Wesley is owned by Triad they got generators out on the road the next day and sent nurses and other medical personnel from its other hospitals to our hospital, so we have been doing okay.
I didn't know this until I got out tonight (I'm at my office right now), but we have a curfew in Hattiesburg starting at 8pm. What a crock! Maybe I'll get pulled over on the way home. That would figure!
I need to go shower and then head back to the house. Say hello to Lynn and Ethan for me. Hope you guys are doing okay.
Not a fun place. I hate that Hattiesburg's home team, the University of Southern Mississippi (that is currently practicing at the University of Memphis) has to visit UA this weekend. It will be hard to root against a team from that area at this time.

Finally, it should be noted that Brian Adams (a good friend of the family that is an Army JAG in Germany) will be re-deployed to Iraq in November. I'm sure that the first time around was so much fun that he's just counting the days until he has to show up again. Yuck.
posted by Chris, 6:30 AM

Contact me

(AIM) christopher2262
(Twitter) christopher2262
(Blackberry PIN) 2424C3A2
(Phone) 205.705.3587

    follow me on Twitter